All cursive, all the time.

Untitled

Alex is obsessed with cursive. She’s been tearing through the basic book that’s languished on the shelf all year (I don’t value cursive, so it’s always been optional) and writing her spelling and dictation assignments in a hybrid of cursive and print. Little cursive notes appear all around the house.

So yesterday I made a decision. “Hey Alex, what would you think about setting Writing With Ease aside for a while and doing cursive copywork instead?”

“I would love to!”

And she did, too. I picked a funny passage from our latest read-aloud and she copied several sentences with good will. Then she wrote an extra sentence so she could demonstrate her skill with capital I. Then she asked for more copywork. Win!

The only problem is that I find it pretty challenging to write out a “perfect cursive” example. (I know you can buy something like StartWrite to do it for you, but I’m cheap.) My cursive skills are not awesome or automatic, and I learned a script that’s slightly different from the one Alex is learning. Still, it’s worth the extra trouble to see her glow with pride.

The proliferation of cursive writing everywhere in our house makes the drive-by comment someone made on my last post all the funnier. This person is so familiar with our family that she began her comment “It may help your little perfectionist (and “Miss Amy,” presumably his teacher)…” She explains at length how useless cursive is, how adults don’t use it, and how it should never be required. Very nice, but I would’ve found an article on “what to do when your kid makes you teach cursive even though you don’t want to” a lot more relevant to my own situation.

This entry was posted in writing. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to All cursive, all the time.

1. Kim says:

I actually wish I’d started with cursive first. Not because I value cursive over print, but I think if he’d learned it first, his handwriting overall would be better. I’ve read that the reason so many of us revert to print as soon as we’re able is because of the muscle memory we develop as preschoolers first learning to write in block print, and I can attest that no matter how hard I’ve tried to correct L’s formation errors [that were ingrained in him by improper, unsupervised practice when he was in public kindy], he still forms many letters and numbers “wrong”.
    I too learned a slightly different script than I’m teaching L, and he laughs when I say I have to check how such-and-such letter is formed. “You mean you never learned how to make a W?!?! LOL”
    Oh, what cuties!

2. Kyndra says:

You may well be able to find copywork for her to copy in the handwriting style she’s learning on Pinterest as a free printable. I keep seeing it in my feed, but haven’t looked at any of it as we’re not there yet…K

3. Sharon says:

LOL! We are having the same excitement here. My kiddo who does not like to write is writing up a storm! I am glad she is enjoying it!

4. Ian Osmond says:

Do you think Alex is really going to be THAT upset when she starts having to write out sentences for YOU to copy, once her handwriting is better than yours?

Teaching is learning, too.

At the point that she masters cursive, of course, you’re going to have to go on to calligraphy. And then multiple hands. And possibly writing Spencerian Copperplate using a feather. And maybe Gothic block letter.

And then you can start doing history by going to original Medieval texts. Of course, she’s going to have to get her Latin up to snuff if she’s going to be copying those.

5. Mris says:

Yay Elizabeth Enright! (Yeah, I know the read-aloud book wasn’t the focus of this post. But Rush and Randy! They are awesome!)

Mris, never feel like you have to apologize for or explain “Yay Elizabeth Enright.” I’m delighted by how well those have stood up. Even Colin listened raptly to The Saturdays . Sometimes he likes to pretend that I’m Rush and he’s Isaac.

7. When your kid makes you teach cursive, even if you don’t want to, go whole hog — for instance, here: http://www.iampeth.com